Historic Franklin Preservation Association
Preserving the Architectural Heritage of Franklin, Pennsylvania
Donate to the Civil War Monument Restoration
ABOUT US            WHAT WE DO            EVENTS            LINKS            HISTORIC MEDIA

Home

 Preservation Projects
Civil War Monument
Pioneer Cemetery
Past Projects
Civil War Monument Plaques

Placed bronze plaques at the base of the Civil War Monument in South Park. Inscribed are names of over 400 Venango County Civil War Veterans who died in the war. See current monument restoration project.


Saltbox House

The Saltbox House was saved from demolition by moving the building to the Justus Recreation Trail in Cranberry Township. The structure is presently the Welcome & Tourist Information Center for the Samuel Justus Recreation Trail in Cranberry Township. Referred to as "... the only saltbox in Franklin" the building was deemed architecturally significant in the National Register of Historic Places application for the Franklin Historic District. It was moved to the bike trail location in September 1991 through the efforts of the Historic Franklin Preservation Association and many local citizens The original location of this home was 809 Liberty Street. The building still retains this original number.
You can read about the history of the Saltbox House on the Venango genealogy website http://venango.pa-roots.com/house13franklin.html.


James B. Borland Memorial Birdbath

Replaced the James B. Borland Memorial Birdbath located in South Park with a replica. The original bird font, dedicated in May 1927, was erected by the citizens of Franklin as a tribute to the Franklin newpaperman's support of civic enterprises.

Historic District Signs

Welcome signs placed at the entrances to Franklin announcing the Historic District.
Egbert Memorial Fountain

Contributed $2,000 toward the restoration of Egbert Memorial Fountain in West Park.
Nominated, researched and erected a Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission marker for the Galena-Signal Oil Company which is located on Liberty Street.
Adopted an alley and placed an historic mural in the HFPA Alley between the Barrow-Civic Theatre and Daffin's Candies off Liberty Street.
Placed benches in West Park (Fountain) and South Park (Bandstand) in Franklin.

Preserved a painting by a local artist, Virginia Sheasley, that was done on the door of her family barn at 14th and Liberty. The barn was razed in the 1990's. The painting is located in the DeBence Music World alley at 1261 Liberty St.