|Federal - 1142 Elk (Old Stone House)|
Originally the home of wagonwright Edward Pearce, this 1843 house is the earliest known building in Franklin. Federal is the plain, smooth, architectural style designed to be the distinctive American style after the founding of the United States. Often the only decorative elements in the design are used at the entrance. Here the entrance has an elliptical arch with Doric pilasters, engaged columns flanking the door. Other elements of this very early example include the simple boxy shape, here in pinkish stone quarried in the area, a pure symmetry, broken pediment in the gable end and large windows with glass divided by thin muntins.
The dark string course pointing out the division between the first and second floor references Italian architecture of the period.
Visit http://venango.pa-roots.com/house22franklin.html for the history of this house.